Sony KDL-50W809C review
|Review: July 2015|
In a nutshell: Sony's KDL-50W809C is one of the best 50-inch Full HD TVs you can buy. For less than a thousand pounds, you'll get a stylish TV with superb picture quality, fast response times for PS4 and Xbox One gamers, and all the advantages of smart Android TV. We're holding back one star in our rating until the teething problems in Sony's roll-out of Android TV are resolved, but this looks set to be a genuine 5-star rated product once those problems are fixed.
Sony's 2015 W85C range comes in three colour variations. The 50-inch Bravia KDL-50W809C is the same as the W805C, except that the stand is a dark chrome colour instead of silver. The dark chrome is a better match for the black edging around the screen.
The W809C also has the advantage of a 1000Hz Motionflow rating, instead of the slower 800Hz of the W805C, although in practice this makes negligible difference to the viewing experience. The price of the W809C is comparable to the W805C, and since the differences are so minor, it makes sense to shop around for the cheapest option.
Read our detailed review of the Sony 50W805C for more information.
Sony KDL-50W809C features include:
- 50 inch LED-backlit screen
- 1920 x 1080 resolution
- X-Reality PRO processing engine
- Advanced Contrast Enhancer
- Motionflow XR 1000 Hz
- Dynamic backlight control
- 24p True Cinema
- 3D Ready (active 3D), no glasses included
- Game Mode
- Freeview HD
- Android 5.0 TV
- Audio: Clear Phase speaker, Dolby Digital Plus / Dolby Pulse, 10W x 2 power output
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi Direct, Ethernet (LAN) x 1, screen mirroring, HDMI x 4, USB x 3, headphone/subwoofer output x 1, component in (Y/Pb/Pr), composite in (AV) x 1, digital audio out x 1, Audio In x 2, HDMI PC in x 1, Scart x 1, RF In (Terrestrial / Cable input) x 1, MHL, CI+ slot
- RMT-TX100D remote control
- Energy efficiency class: A+
- Typical power consumption: 72W - 110W
- Size without stand (WxHxD): 1116 x 654 x 59 mm
- Size with stand (WxHxD): 1116 x 691 x 191 mm
Sorry - questions and comments on this page are now closed.
Can you use a 4k blu ray player on this tv?
Asked by francis
on 26th Nov 2018
Why doesn't it have standby?
Asked by Van Vee
on 22nd Aug 2016
When power goes off and comes back, instead of standby when power comes back the TV is ON. Because in Ghana power is always On and OFF.
What's the 3 d glasses for this tv?
Asked by P coley
on 30th May 2016
Sony KDL-50W809C user reviews
Sorry - reviews and comments on this page are now closed.
Average rating from 4 reviews:
Reviewed by Gill
on 3rd Feb 2016
Bought this TV end of November ready for Christmas, have noticed when the picture changes scenes the brightness goes up and down a lot.
The handset is horrible as it is so easy to press the outside navigation buttons when using the inside buttons.
You view is very slow in changing programmes compared to freeview.
On several occasions when I have switched the TB off it has come back on again!
Reviewed by phil thomas
on 21st Jan 2016
Very good television great sound and picture pin sharp.
Reviewed by Arto
on 28th Oct 2015
This is a very good television . I recommend to everyone. Extremely sharp and easy to use. :)
Reviewed by Stuart
on 23rd Aug 2015
I have the 50 inch,brilliant picture the 3d is excellent,Samsung 3d glasses work with the television and are much cheaper . And at 729 pounds it well worth it.
Reply by Zani
on 17th Dec 2016
Which model 3D Samsung glasses you mean?