Sony KDL-50W705B review
|Review: July 2014|
In a nutshell: The Sony KDL-50W705B gives you a big 50 inch screen at a good price. It provides versatile family viewing and Smart TV, but it isn't the best for picture quality or audio.
The 50W705B is the 50 inch version of the Sony Bravia KDL-42W705B we reviewed earlier, so read our review of the 42 inch model for a detailed assessment.
The 50 inch version is the same, except that the motionflow rate has been doubled from 200Hz to 400Hz, which it needs at this screen size. It still makes for a slow motion response, and picture quality is no better than "fair".
The open-style stand and ultra narrow bezel look even nicer at this large screen size, and a 50 inch screen is guaranteed to make an impact in any home. The Smart TV is good, with Catch-up TV from the BBC iPlayer and Demand 5, YouTube, Twitter, Netflix and Amazon Instant. Connectivity is excellent too, with 4 HDMI connections, 2 USB ports, Wi-Fi, ethernet and a range of other connections. Audio quality, like picture quality is "fair".
Sony KDL-50W705B features include:
- 50 inch LED-backlit screen
- 1920 x 1080 resolution
- X-Reality PRO processing engine
- Advanced Contrast Enhancer
- Motionflow XR 400 Hz
- Game Mode
- Freeview HD
- Sony Entertainment Network
- Audio: Dolby Digital Plus, S-Force 3D surround effect, 8W x 2 sound output (RMS)
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi Direct, Ethernet (LAN) x 1, NFC screen mirroring, HDMI x 4, USB x 2, headphone x 1, component in (Y/Pb/Pr) / composite in (AV) x 1, digital audio out (optical) x 1, Audio In x 2, PC in x 1, Scart x 1, RF In (Terrestrial / Cable input) x 1, DLNA
- Energy efficiency class: A++
- Typical power consumption: 51W - 100W
- Size without stand (WxHxD): 111.6 x 65.6 x 6.4 cm
- Size with stand (WxHxD): 111.6 x 69.3 x 17.9 cm
Got a question? This is the place to ask it!
Please don't ask a question that has already been asked. Duplicates will be removed.
Sony KDL-50W705B user reviews
Love this product? Hate it? Please share your experiences to help other people choose the product that's best for them. Please do not review this product if you have not used it, and please ask questions in our User Questions section above. Please do not use swear words or offensive language, and please, no advertising!
Average rating from 2 reviews:
Reviewed by neil
from U K
on 2nd Jan 2015
Unable to receive the BBC red button service. I believe this T.V. is not fit for purpose.
Reviewed by J GRANDI
on 20th Nov 2014
Excellent picture in hd and also good in sd