Samsung UE40F5500 review
|Review: November 2013|
In a nutshell: The Samsung UE40F5500 is a good-looking 40 inch LED TV with Samsung's outstanding Smart TV system. However, picture quality isn't the best at this price, and we prefer rival models from Sony and Panasonic.
The Samsung UE40F5500 is the 40 inch version of the UE32F5500 that we reviewed previously, so read our detailed review of the Samsung UE32F5500 for more information.
The F5500 series is an attractive slimline TV with a narrow, glossy bezel and a swivelling quad stand. It's very energy efficient too, consuming just 57W in normal use and being A-rated.
A stand out feature is Samsung's excellent Smart TV system that is both user-friendly and more comprehensive than other manufacturers, with the BBC iPlayer, BBC Sport, ITV Player, the 4oD service from Channel 4, Demand 5 from Channel 5, LoveFilm, Skype and Twitter all included.
Audio quality is reasonable for a slimline TV and connectivity is excellent, with 3 HDMI connections and built-in Wi-Fi.
However, it's in the picture quality where this TV falls down, with the defects apparent in the 32 inch model being more noticeable on a 40 inch screen. In particular, the LED backlighting provides low dynamic contrast, with a loss of shadow detail, and the 100Hz Clear Motion Rate is too slow to avoid motion blur.
Conclusion - not the best 40 inch TV at this price
Although we liked the 32 inch version of the F5500 series, when we're spending nearly £200 more on a bigger screen, we demand more, and the UE40F5500 doesn't deliver. We'd instead recommend the excellent Panasonic TX-L42E6B or Sony KDL-42W653. Or, if you want to stick with Samsung, choose the superior Samsung UE40F6400, or, if you can afford it, the much better Samsung UE40F6500.
Samsung UE40F5500 features include:
- 40 inch LED-backlit screen
- 1920 x 1080 resolution
- Wide Colour Enhancer Plus
- 100 Clear Motion Rate
- Game Mode
- Smart TV 2.0, Smart Hub, Samsung Apps, Social TV, Fitness, Kids, Web Browser, S Recommendation
- Freeview HD
- Audio: Digital Dolby Plus, Dolby Pulse, DTS Premium Audio 5.1, 10W x 2 sound output (RMS), 2 down firing speakers
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi, Ethernet (LAN) x 1, HDMI x 3, USB x 2, headphone x 1, component in (Y/Pb/Pr) x 1, composite in (AV) x 1, digital audio out (optical) x 1, Scart x 1, RF In (Terrestrial / Cable input) x 1, Anynet+, CI slot
- TM1250A Remote Controller
- Energy efficiency class: A
- Typical power consumption: 57W
- Size without stand (WxHxD): 928.2 x 552.3 x 49.4 mm
- Size with stand (WxHxD): 928.2 x 615.5 x265 mm
Sorry - questions and comments on this page are now closed.
What TV base stand can I use on my Samsung TV model no UE40F5500?
Asked by Cyril
on 14th Sep 2017
Can you use an alternative stand for this tv?
Why does my TV no longer have access to Channel 5 or Channel5 on demand?
from Great britain
on 9th Mar 2016
How can I get it back?
Samsung UE40F5500 user reviews
Sorry - reviews and comments on this page are now closed.
Average rating from 2 reviews:
Reviewed by Thomas Feeney
on 25th May 2014
How can I connect my bose speaker to my ue40f5500tv or is it possible
Reviewed by Jeff H
on 3rd Jan 2014
Download all available upgrades and the picture quality greatly improves; very acceptable for a 40 inch LED TV in this price bracket, i.e. under £400.