Samsung Galaxy S Advance review
|Review: May 2012|
Last updated September 2012
In a nutshell: The Samsung Galaxy S Advance is a higher-end smartphone running Android 2.3 (Gingerbread).
Today's best buy: Samsung Galaxy S Advance, I9 ... from Amazon (£0)
Samsung may have built its reputation on state-of-the-art phones like the Galaxy S2, but it's proving itself to be ruthlessly efficient at turning out slightly less specified phones at a competitive price. The Galaxy S Advance is one of those phones. It's been designed very carefully to tick all the boxes, and it doesn't put a foot wrong. The Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) operating system isn't the latest, but it's still the most common version in use right now, and offers nearly everything a smartphone user would want. The dual-core 1GHz processor is quite fast enough to power the phone. The screen isn't the biggest, but the 4 inch Super AMOLED screen is everything most users will need. Likewise, the camera isn't the very best, but it produces high quality 5 megapixel images and captures HD video. The memory is plenty too, with 8GB of internal memory plus the option of adding a card.
In short, the Galaxy S Advance delivers a carefully-designed cocktail of features that will tick most users' boxes and deliver a great all-round smartphone experience. There is nothing wrong with this phone. What's missing is anything extraordinary. But it's now available for as low as £15 per month on contract, putting it in the same price bracket as low-end phones like the Nokia Lumia 610, Sony Xperia U and Samsung Galaxy Ace 2. At this price, who are we to argue?
Samsung Galaxy S Advance features include:
- 5 megapixel camera with autofocus, LED flash and digital zoom, HD video recording
- 1.3 megapixel secondary camera
- Display: Super AMOLED, 16 million colours, 480 x 800 pixels (4 inches) touchscreen with auto-rotate
- Music player
- FM radio RDS
- MP3 ringtones / 64-voice polyphonic ringtones
- Messaging: SMS, MMS, instant messaging, email
- GPS with Google Maps
- Personal organiser functions
- Processor: Dual core 1GHz
- Memory: 8GB internal memory, 768MB RAM plus MicroSD memory card (up to 32GB supported)
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 3.0, USB 2.0, 3.5mm audio jack
- Internet: Layar Reality Browser, Android browser, GPRS, EDGE, 3G, HSPA 14.4Mbps
- 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100MHz 3G Band
- Size: 123 x 63 x 9.7 mm
- Weight: 120g
- Battery: 1500 mAh
- Talktime: 430 - 930 minutes
- Battery standby: 550 - 570 hours
Got a question? This is the place to ask it!
Please don't ask a question that has already been asked. Duplicates will be removed.
Samsung Galaxy S Advance user reviews
Love this product? Hate it? Please share your experiences to help other people choose the product that's best for them. Please do not review this product if you have not used it, and please ask questions in our User Questions section above. Please do not use swear words or offensive language, and please, no advertising!
Average rating from 1 review:
Reviewed by mimi from UK on 11th Feb 2013
This phone is flawless. I really cannot fault it, and I have been using it for 6 months now on a daily basis. Well done, Samsung.