HTC One XL review
|Review: October 2012|
In a nutshell: This 4G-compatible phone is one of the most powerful smartphones available.
Today's best buy: Leather Case Cover Suitable ... from Amazon (£0)
The HTC One XL is a 4G version of the highly-rated One X. Hold the One XL next to the One X and you'll struggle to spot the difference. The One XL is ever so slightly larger, but a gram lighter.
Strangely, the One XL comes with a 1.5GHz dual-core processor instead of the quad-core of the One X. This seems a very curious decision, since this is supposed to be HTC's flagship model. However, benchmarking tests have shown that this new Snapdragon S4 dual-core processor is at least as fast as the quad-core Tegra 3.
The One XL has a lower resolution display than the original One X. It's 960 x 540 pixels instead of 1280 x 720 pixels. Again this is an oddity, especially since the international version of the XL has the full 1280 x 720 resolution. It seems to be only the UK that has the lower resolution version. When the Samsung Galaxy S3 is already crushing HTC in sales, why give consumers yet another reason to choose the Galaxy S3 4G LTE version over the One XL?
Pricing of the One XL will be the same as the One X. Initially, 4G will be available on the Orange/T-Mobile (Everything Everywhere) networks only, but the other UK networks will be launching their own 4G services in 2013. Download speeds on 4G will be up to 100Mbps, compared with the theoretical maximum of 21Mbps of the 3G One X.
Everything else is the same as the One X, so read our detailed review of that phone for more.
HTC One XL features include:
- 8 megapixel camera with autofocus, f2.0 lens and smart LED flash plus 1.3 megapixel front camera
- 1080p HD video recording / 720p HD front video camera
- Display: capacitive Super LCD touchscreen with pinch-to-zoom capability, 540 x 960 pixels (4.7 inches) with auto-rotate
- GPS receiver with digital compass, Google Maps, HTC Footprints and geo-tagging
- Music player (aac, .amr, .ogg, .m4a, .mid, .mp3, .wav, .wma formats)
- FM radio
- Beats Audio sound
- Messaging: SMS, MMS, Email, instant messaging
- Internet: GPRS, EDGE, 4G LTE, HTML5 web browser with Adobe Flash support
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, micro-USB 2.0, 3.5mm audio jack, DLNA, NFC
- Processor: NVIDIA 1.5GHz, dual core
- Memory: 16GB plus 1GB RAM
- Vibration alert
- Quadband GSM (850/900/1800/1900 MHz) plus LTE (800/1800/2600 MHz)
- Size: 135 x 70 x 9.3 mm
- Weight: 129g
- Battery: 1800 mAh
Got a question? This is the place to ask it!
Please don't ask a question that has already been asked. Duplicates will be removed.
HTC One XL user reviews
Love this product? Hate it? Please share your experiences to help other people choose the product that's best for them. Please do not review this product if you have not used it, and please ask questions in our User Questions section above. Please do not use swear words or offensive language, and please, no advertising!
Average rating from 1 review:
Reviewed by tony from uk on 16th Oct 2012
Your facts are incorrect, the normal one x supports 21mbps not 14mbps.
Reply by S21 from UK on
17th Oct 2012
OK, tony, well spotted! Correction made.