Amazon Kindle Keyboard 3G review
|Review: September 2012|
In a nutshell: The Kindle Keyboard 3G is the Kindle for frequent travellers or anyone without easy access to Wi-Fi. The free 3G data access is convenient, as is the physical QWERTY keyboard and extended battery life.
4 reasons to choose it
The Kindle Keyboard 3G is the most expensive of the Kindle e-reader family. It offers all the features of the basic Kindle e-reader, plus the following:
- A free 3G connection so you can download books without the need for a Wi-Fi connection.
- A physical QWERTY keyboard.
- More memory (enough for up to 3,000 books).
- Extended battery life.
3G & Wi-Fi
The 3G connection is probably the main reason why people choose to buy the Keyboard 3G version of the Kindle. The Kindle and Kindle Touch both use Wi-Fi to download books and access the Kindle store on Amazon. Although Wi-Fi is free and fast, it's not always available. Having the option to use Vodafone's 3G high-speed data network in the UK and partner networks outside the UK means that you'll be able to access the internet in places you otherwise couldn't. Where 3G isn't available the system falls back to slower GPRS/EDGE networks. The best thing about the 3G connection is that it's completely free. And you can still use Wi-Fi when it's available.
The push-button QWERTY keyboard is handy if you like to make notes or annotations on your reading material. A five-way controller lets you move around the page and select text.
Conclusion - for power users and frequent travellers
The 3G version of the Kindle is ideal for frequent travellers, or for anyone who doesn't have easy access to Wi-Fi. The physical keyboard, extra memory and extended battery life are useful features for power users. But the 3G version is the biggest and heaviest member of the Kindle e-reader family, and it's the most expensive too, costing more than twice as much as the basic Wi-Fi version.
Amazon Kindle Keyboard 3G features include:
- Display: 6 inch e-ink Pearl display with optimised fonts, 600 x 800 pixels, 167 ppi, 16-level grey scale
- Memory: 4 GB internal (approximately 3 GB available for user content - enough for up to 3,000 books)
- Free cloud storage for all Amazon content
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n), USB 2.0 (used for charging), 3G HSDPA with a fallback to EDGE/GPRS, 3.5 mm stereo audio jack
- Web browser
- USB cable included
- Formats supported: Kindle (AZW), Kindle Format 8 (AZW3), TXT, PDF, Audible (Audible Enhanced(AA,AAX)), MP3, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; HTML, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion
- Size: 190 x 123 x 8.5 mm
- Weight: 247g
- Battery life: up to 2 months with wireless off and 30 minutes of reading per day
Got a question? This is the place to ask it!
Please don't ask a question that has already been asked. Duplicates will be removed.
Amazon Kindle Keyboard 3G user reviews
Love this product? Hate it? Please share your experiences to help other people choose the product that's best for them. Please do not review this product if you have not used it, and please ask questions in our User Questions section above. Please do not use swear words or offensive language, and please, no advertising!
No reviews yet!